John Caravella, Esq. is a construction attorney and formerly practicing project architect, with offices in Uniondale and Melville New York, as well as Ft Lauderdale, Florida. The Law Offices of John Caravella P.C. represents architects, engineers, contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, and project owners in all phases of pre and post construction services.
For builders, contractors, construction managers, subcontractors, and design professionals, typical services include the drafting and negotiation of complex New York construction contracts, including AIA form agreements; public and private mechanics lien or bond claims, as well as trial or arbitration proceedings.
For owners, both residential and commercial, services include review and negotiation of contracts for design and construction services, assistance in the replacement of non-performing or under-performing contractors, as well as the litigation or arbitration of unlicensed contractor or defective construction claims, as well as defending commercial and residential foreclosure or eviction proceedings.
Mr. Caravella has been awarded the Leadership in Law Award by the Long Island Business News (Nov. ’14), as well as named to its ‘Ones to Watch in Long Island Law’ list (June ’12), invited to speak at industry functions, interviewed by local press outlets, has had legal articles published and is appointed to serve as an arbitrator to the American Arbitration Association Construction Industry Panel of Neutrals. Mr. Caravella is also a member of the Nassau County Bar Association Construction Law Committee, Broward County Bar Association Construction Law Committee, New York State Bar Association and writes for The Construction Law Blog.
Mr. Caravella maintains an “open door” office policy and always provides free, no-obligation telephone consultations.
Alternate Dispute Resolution Qualifications:
- American Arbitration Association
Construction Industry Panel Of Neutrals
- United States District Court
Eastern District Of NY Arbitration Panel
- Nassau County Bar Association Arbitration Panel
- Nassau County Bar Association Mediation Panel
- United States District Court
Eastern District Of NY Mediation Panel
Associations and Memberships:
- Juris Doctorate, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale FL
- Bachelor of Science, Architectural Technology, New York Inst. Of Technology, Old Westbury NY
- Associate of Construction Technology, State University of New York at Farmingdale NY
Awards / Publications:
- NYSBA – Speaking Certificate
- Leadership in Law Award
- Long Island Business News, Nov. 2014
- ‘The Inconvenient Termination for Convenience‘
New York County Lawyer’s Association, Construction Law Journal
Vol II, Issue I, Spring 2012
- ‘Ones to Watch in Long Island Law‘
Long Island Business News, June 6, 2012.
- ‘Employment and Labor Compliance Challenges for Contractors‘
Nassau County Bar Association, Nassau Lawyer
Vol 11; January 2017
- Overview of Prevailing Wage Law and Litigation – Nassau County Bar Association, Nassau Lawyer
Vol 67, No 5; January 2018
- New York Legislature Considers Scaffold Law Reform – Nassau County Bar Association, Nassau Lawyer Vol 68, No 5; January 2019
- Following Clients South
Long Island Business News, October 9, 2015
- Many LIers pay for home improvements only to learn costly lesson of buyer beware
Newsday, June 27, 2015
- It’s Easier Being Green
Long Island Business News, July 20, 2012
- Commercial Real Estate Could be the Next Shoe to Drop
Long Island Business News, Dec 18, 2009
Surety Day 2017
- Knowing Your Indemnitors – The Pitfalls in Underwriting
- Sureties VS. Lenders – A Fight for Each Penny